Wednesday, September 18, 2019

*Wisdom Tooth Journey Part 2 - The Surgery, Khoo Teck Phuat (KTPH).

Dear Diary,

Alhamdulilah! The surgery went smoothly yesterday. Hehe!


Went smoothly with slight drama I guess? Hahaha!

So the day before my surgery, I was on afternoon shift for work and I received 2 missed calls from KTPH which I didn't get to answer because I was busy working, but I received an SMS from them.


I kinda panic because work ended quite late and I haven't had dinner. My last meal was supposed to be before 12am but I know I will reach probably around 1130pm. I'm a slow eater so I don't know how I'm supposed to finish my meal before 12am. I rushed from work and quickly grab a meal from McDonalds on my way home. I was lucky that I reached home at around 1115pm, had my meal quickly (for the first time) and I was done just before 12am.

All the while, I can't really sleep thinking what have I gotten myself into. Will I wake up or if anything is going to happen to me during the surgery. Lol! I had really many nice friends who kept giving me words of encouragement and made doa for me. Kak Azie being one of them again, Hana, Pagen, Yanny, Izzati, Aishah and a big hug to Mariem too. She came all the way down to my surgery despite her being on a wheelchair but I missed her by a few seconds because I was already inside the surgery room.


After D came home from his night shift and had breakfast, we cabbed down to KTPH and reached about 15 mins late but still, I was called in even later. The Patient Service Associate took down my details and explain about payment etc and I was told to take a seat.



Few minutes later, I was called in to enter the day surgery ward area, I was told to change into my surgery gown. Struggled with the gown, how to tie them and D came to help me inside the toilet. HAHAHA!

Can't believe I'm having this again after many years, this time in a different hospital.

One of the nurses and Anesthetic doctor explain to me about the risk of GA. Like they said the risk of doing GA is low but there could be risk of heart attack or stroke. Plus I had a childhood asthma, so chances of having the asthma during GA could also be one of the risk too. They said I will be in a very very deep sleep and they will have to put a breathing tube right inside from my throat to support my breathing and they will only take out only when I'm awake from the GA. 🤮 This sometimes can cause sore throat that could last up to 2 days. Listening to all that really makes me scared. I know I have anxiety attack on and off that make me cannot breathe at times. What happens if the attack comes during the surgery and I didn't wake up? Only God knows how worried I was. But Mariem was messaging me and telling it's just a normal procedure that they have to explain but all will be well. Like Nursya (D's cousin) also said, it's a just a process that they have to explain to cover their backside in case anything happens. Lol!

After signing the GA document, I was called in for consultation with Dr Sylvia Tay explaining to me on my procedure and asking how many teeth I wanted to remove. The nurses will keep asking me the same questions and my answer will always be the same, "Four!" 4️⃣ Hehehe! Dr Tay asked me which of the tooth is really bothering me and I told her the top two wisdom tooth. She even explain that my bottom two wisdom tooth are near my nerves and removing it can cause numbness of the tongue and lips, the numbness could last a few months and some permanently. I was shaken. But Dr Sylvia Tay was nice. She said, she will do the operation first to see how it is. If the tooth is really near the nerves, she will just cut the top part and left the one near the nerve inside without touching it. And I was like "Ahhh, okay." sense of relived. So I signed another document that I understood everything and was brought back to my Bed 23 to rest.

As I was laying down, there was a girl who was laying down directly in front of me who just finished her surgery. She was complaining all the way and was in so much pain and I could see her face, it was quite swollen too. I became petrified and restless. It was already 1245pm and they still haven't called me in for the surgery yet, I was hungry too. It was like a waiting game and leaving my fate to what it shall be later on. I guess everyone must have left for lunch. Seeing the girl in front of me doesn't pretty much help me either. She kept complaining of pain. The nurses gave her another stronger painkiller despite her still being on LA. Anyway, she was also joking around with her boyfriend/husband despite all that. So I don't know if she's in pain or no pain? Lol. Anyway, drama 1:- Being scared, I was close to running away from the hospital. Hahahahahaha! I even told D maybe we should just cancel the surgery and head home. I could try LA another time. D was of course...


Because he already sacrificed sleep and came all the way to send me to the hospital after just ending night shift. Hahahaha! Waiting game was even stronger this time when the clock strikes 1.15pm. Nervous, anxious and everything. Dear God.

Then at around 1.30pm, one of the Anesthetic doctor came and attended to me and said she was going to put a drip for me. She introduced herself as Dr Olivia. And girl, she is sooooo pretty. Her skin and face is so flawless and she's just so pretty. 😍 She told me it's going to hurt a little bit for 3 seconds and then it will slightly hurt again, I can count up to 10 seconds and then everything will be okay. I was already prepping myself for this. I have been poked from my back palm many times and I sort of know my pain tolerance here is ok. But then...


She couldn't find my vein and when she tried to put the drip in, I think it didn't work. I could feel the drip going in having this 'sharp' pain of water gushing through. I've had this 'pain' before once when I was hospitalized, this is when the the needles is slanted and is not poke into your veins properly.

So she took the the needle out again and apologize. She said she will do it again once I'm inside the operating theater. While rubbing it with alcohol swab, I told D "Pedih" means stinging feeling. Then she looked panic and went "Painful is it? It will swell a little now." I just told her it's okay just a stinging feeling. She plaster my wound and apologize again. My thoughts was they can try to poke me anywhere but not on my side wrist. Because I still remember Mama used to tell me, the side wrist is more painful because it's near the bone and I shall not risk that 'feeling'. I'm already so scared and nervous about everything. Lol!

Waiting game again. Drama 2:- I was telling D if I didn't wake up please forgive me for any of my wrongdoings. Lol. Then I even tell him to make sure he remembers my bank account passwords and everything. It was like as if I was on my death bed. D told me I was crazy and to stop it but I was almost tearing feeling scared. So of course, he just listen to me just to make sure I stay calm and get to say my piece.

At about 1.45pm, finally, I was told to walk over to the operating theater. And I'm like "Wahhh". I saw my X-ray whole set of teeth picture flash right in front of the screen and I was told to lay down on the OT bed. They told me to remove my hands off the surgery gown sleeves, so that they put the ECG monitor on me. That's when I started to feel so cold and I was shivering vigorously. The Anesthetic doctor went "She's shivering. Are you cold? She's cold!" and one of the nurse quickly grabbed a blanket put it on for me and went "Oh no. Okay. We will heat up the blanket for you okay." I felt so much better when the blanket was heat up. Comfortable as well and my shivering stopped.

The Anesthetic doctor tried to put the drip on me again, as she tried to tap on my side wrist. Drama 3:- I waved my hand vigorously 👋👋👋 and told the doctors I don't want to be poked there. All of them was shocked and they stopped. So one of my Anesthetic Dr Wong, said "Oh got preference one ah? Okay okay. We can poke you at the back palm or your front elbow also can. You did surgery before is it?" I told him "No. I just don't want to be poked there. I don't like the feeling." They were quite accommodating and poked me on my front elbow instead. Hehehe! As the drip starts, I started to feel slightly sleepy but I still fight it so hard to open my eyes refusing to sleep. I asked so many questions to the doctor, "How long is the surgery going to last, is it painful." etc etc. I think they know I was scared and I guess the doctor gave up too, they gave me a gas and asked me to breathe through it. I thought it was for oxygen. I felt my breathing gets a little harder, I thought I was going to die. HAHAHAHA! And I was feeling quite sleepy too, so so so sleepy which I never felt in my entire life before. I remember saying my shahadah, mengucap before that. The doctor told me to think of something beautiful and I picture my husbandD and us during our wedding.......... I closed my eyes........


The SMS D received.

Suddenly all I heard was "Okayyyy. Surgery done. You can wake up now." by Dr Sylvia and they wheel me out on the recovery area. I tried to lift up my head and almost got myself out of bed. Lol! And Dr Sylvia told me to put my head down. And then I realized "Oh wow. I'm done already? Alhamdulilah." I felt something different in my mouth. It was still numb and yes, there was gauze inside and I couldn't speak properly. Dr Sylvia even showed me my wisdom tooth.


They removed all! The two top wisdom tooth is intact whereas the bottom on is cut into pieces.

Dr Sylvia told me that I had to rest in the recovery room for about 10-15 minutes before she can send me out. She was nice, she check on me often. Also because maybe, I wasn't being such a brat. She told me close my eyes and rest but I was like I'm done sleeping. HAHAHA! And I was all the way awake inside the recovery room. I saw some other patients being wheeled out on the recovery room too, mostly still knock out except me. I hear commotions among doctors and nurses. They were making funny jokes among themselves. Dr Sylvia apologize and said they are always a bunch of noisy people and like to crack jokes. I just smile. I mean I understand, we are all humans and we know when there is a need or there is no need to stay professional. Being in healthcare industry myself, I'm just like them too.

15 minutes later, I was wheeled out again and this time back to my day surgery ward. 5 minutes later, I saw D walked in. My bed was near the entrance. Upon seeing me, he smiled and chuckled to himself. Maybe "happy" seeing me "defeated" for the first time not being able to talk. 🙄 And he was like "El bb....Are you okay? Hehehehe! Sakit tak sayang?" I guess that is just him trying to lighten up the atmosphere. HAHAHAHA! Mcm nak tumbuk aje ketawa-ketawa kan orang. Ingat kelakar eh? Hahahaha! I realized I can't speak properly with the gauze inside my mouth. D passed me my phone and I used the camera to see myself, thank God, I didn't swell up.

The nurse saw me that I was already feeling more better than everyone else. She asked if I wanted to try to drink water, so I can be discharged home earlier. She gave me a normal room temp plain water to drink and then another cooler apple juice to drink. I finished them up and she placed a gauze inside my mouth again to stop the bleeding. I asked the nurse if it's normal with the numbness at my bottom lips and she said it's normal, my sensation will only come back 4-6 hours later. I thought I already lose my senses. Haha!

Half an hour later, I told D I wanted to sit up and not laying down anymore. Seeing me so much better, one of the pharmacist came up and prescribe me with my medication. I didn't stay in the ward for so long. By right we have to stay for about 2-3 hours and unlike the other girl, I'm so proud that I left the hospital about 1 1/2 hour earlier than her and was 'stronger'. We settled the payment but I didn't have to pay a single thing for now because the surgery was covered by my Medisave as well as my insurance.

My husband helping me carrying all my valuables. Hahaha! Love you!

Ayah fetched both us from the hospital after that and brought us out for lunch. While they had Chicken rice. So niceeeeeee! 😭 I could only afford to swallow porridge with ewww, yes blood taste everywhere. I put on the gauze at night mostly, to help me stop with the bleeding. Although the gauze taste was awful as well. Errr. And also they gave me a mouth wash to gargle since I can't really use my tongue to rub or remove food particles inside my mouth as it might cause bleeding again.

Today, I'm feeling so much better now but exerting force while doing work sometime cause my gums to bleed again. So I guess light duty from the time being and...


Yes so long work. 8 days of Hospitalization leave sehhh. Lol! I thought it will be only for a few days. I actually wanted to head back to work earlier next week but everyone told me to just rest because I needed it. And once I'm back to work there is basically no rest. Since many people are resigning, so there will definitely be more work for me to do before my work place become stabilize again. Thus, I really need to rest and get myself fully recover.

Anyway, the doctor did mention that on the 3rd day, Friday, my face will swell the most. But Alhamdulilah. So far today I'm okay. No swelling face yet. Just that I find it hard to open my jaw, it feels slightly cramp and I have to be on painkiller to numb and make the pain bearable for the time being, the painkiller does makes me drowsy and sleepy too.

Till here. Time to look for porridge for my dinner soon.
I'll definitely recommend KTPH and Dr Sylvia for wisdom tooth removal!
😉

And I actually google on videos to see how wisdom tooth are removed. Enjoy the video!


XOXO,
Princess Azie Anni 

No comments: